Free Legal Consultation in Chandigarh & Legal Advice
RE : PROBLEMS AND MISERIES OF MIGRANT LABOURERS [Supreme Court of India]:
Disaster Management Act, 2005 – Section 12 – COVID-19 lockdown – Miseries of stranded migrants across the country – No fare either by train or by bus shall be charged from any migrant workers – This Court issue following interim directions:
- No fare either by train or by bus shall be charged from any migrant workers – Railway fare shall be shared by the States as per their arrangement as submitted by the learned Solicitor General and in no case any fare should be asked or charged from any migrant workers by the States and the Railways.
- Migrant workers who are stranded at different places in the country shall be provided food free of cost by the concerned States / Union Territories at different places which shall be publicized and notified to them during the period they are waiting for their turn to board the train or bus.
- Initially, as stated by the learned Solicitor General, the originating State shall provide water and meal and during the journey, the railways shall provide meal and water to the migrant workers and same facilities shall be extended when the migrant workers are transported by bus. The State shall take care of providing necessities water and meal during the period of transportation either in the bus or in the camps on the way.
- State shall simplify and speed up the process of registration of migrant workers and also provide help desk for registration at the places where they are stranded.
- The State shall try to endeavour that after registration the workers should be asked to board the train or bus at the earliest and complete information should be publicized to all the concerned regarding mode of transport.
- Those migrant workers who are found walking on the highways or roads shall be immediately taken care by the concerned State / Union Territories and they shall be provided the transport to the destination and all facilities including food and water be provided to those found walking on the road.
- The receiving State, after the migrant workers reach his native place, shall provide transport, health screening and other facilities free of cost.
Contact us for Free Legal Consultation during Covid 19. Get free Legal Advice through online consultation.
Advocate N.K. Verma – Banking & DRT Advocate in High Court | DRT | Chandigarh | Punjab | Haryana | Best Advocates
Address: Chamber No. 71, Pb & Hr. High Court, Chandigarh, 160001